Way back in 2001, the summer between my eighth and ninth grade years, I wrote this. I just found it among some memory items and photos. I have pretty much lost all of the journals prior to 2003, but I remember them being filled with lists of how I can be a better child. I remember constantly asking myself why couldn't I just behave? Why couldn't I complete my chores? I so badly wanted to be wanted, and there was a dream that somehow I was good enough just the way that I am.
Since I wrote this Journal entry:
- I stretched myself artistically
- I played sports
- I graduated from high school
- I spent my first semester of college in Scotland, UK
- I became a Callie Award Winner
- I found a permanent loving family which includes both birth members and my foster mom.
- I was an outstanding young leader for Fosterclub.
- I became a champion for many things, mostly child welfare system reform
- I graduated from a four year college
- I have international connections
Now, I am still working on that book idea, and while I haven't invented anything... I am a visionary and have created change. I can look at something and imagine what it could be. At this point, I'm not sure what I would tell the little girl who wrote this entry, because apparently she had it in her all along. A survivor, a strong person, assertive, and brilliant.