Thursday, June 28, 2012

International Summit day 3

In my dedication to giving you a debrief of all things International Summit (#ISYIC), I am dutifully writing this post at midnight!  haha.

Since 7:30am this morning, I've been spending all of my time with my work group which is focused on Youth and Alumni Engagement.  We are a well organized group, and we learned about each other's roles right off the bat.  I really love each of them dearly, and do not be surprised if I am in a state of sadness next week as I head off into the unknown, physically away from these amazing individuals.  (of course my friends and family are all amazing).

We are unveiling an idea that presented itself today on our way home from a state dinner where we met Secretary Dallas and Secretary O'Malley.  When Teona shared with me her vision, my face just lit up!  (Her Georgian Advocacy group has a site here).  Then we shared it to another member of our work group and so forth.  Every face lit up!  We hit a zinger!  I can't wait to unveil it in due time, and you can keep harping on me on what it is!  You'll keep me accountable.


Day 3 and we love each other.  We are brothers and sisters of care.  We respect each as individuals.  We are leaders and we are professional, but just now we ran through the sprinklers on campus!


We are ready to set the world on fire, and after we are finished giggling we plan on working through the night to come up with concrete action steps to keep the momentum going.  


I will admit, that follow through and goal completion are weaknesses for me, so if you could keep me on track that would be awesome!  


As usual,


Love you guys!


Babs<3   



1 comment:

  1. Sorry, to post all of this hear but I love your story and I could not find an email for you:

    Many foster children, foster parents, and adoptive parents share the same question: What does adulthood look like for foster kids?

    While every person’s story is different, so many times the world only gives us the negative outcomes. The truth is that many foster children grow up to be adults who live successful lives. They grow into amazing parents, earn degrees, own businesses, overcome their pain, etc. These are the stories that need to be told. People need to hear that foster children can have happy endings. You have been sent this message because you are one of those foster kids who got your happy ending.
    I Was a Foster Kid is a blog dedicated to providing a place in the world where those stories can be told. We want those involved in foster care to have a place to turn when they need a reminder that they are changing lives. We want potential foster parents to read these stories and know that they can be a part of something big. We want foster children to read these stories and know that their future can be just as bright.
    This is your invitation to submit your personal story and become a part of something big. You have an opportunity to touch lives by sharing part of yourself with others. If you are interested in your story becoming part of our collecting, please email the following to iwasafosterkid@gmail.com or visit www.iwasafosterkid.com to learn more.

    What you should submit:
    Your name and/or a link to your website:
    Year you were taken into care:
    Age at the time you were taken into care:
    Length of time in care:
    Your story & a photo if you would like it to be included with your story.

    Note about your story: Every foster story is filled with pain and we do not expect you to leave that out. It is important that you tell the details you feel are important, even if those are not happy details. What matters the most is that you are an inspiration and your positive outcome deserves to be told!

    ReplyDelete