Thursday, May 20, 2010

Luna Bars

My Ipod is an invaluable tool in the fight against unproductivity.  It gets me in the groove as I'm writing my dictations and reports.  It keeps me going.  That and my new goal not to snack so much at work. 

Now I don't know how new the Luna Bar is.  Its fairly new to me though.  A few weeks ago, I realized that I was eating a lot at work.  It wasn't even wholesome goods, just whatever cakes or cookies or chips I could find at my desk (keep in mind I have a snack drawer that strikes envy in my co-workers, which is fine because I'm more than willing to share :-p).  Lisa told me a few days ago that her doctor suggested that she snack on foods with more fiber and protein in them.  They help to fill you up and keep you running for longer.  Hmm, I like that idea. 

Note:  Usually when I say Lisa, I mean my foster mother. 

Lisa likes the cereal bars from Post or General Mills.  I on the other hand, try to keep High Fructose Corn Syrup and other additives out of my diet as much as possible.  I really don't need extra sugar added to my already sweet tooth junk drawer.  So I headed to the health food section in search of the yummiest, healthiest protein/energy bar.  We all know that they taste like cardboard, and to be fair, I cannot be expected to eat them.  I bought one of each, natural bar over there.  I stayed away from terms such as "G-force" or "Titanium" or "X-treme."  That just reeks of chemicals and weird herbs no one has ever heard of!  So I tried bars from "bear naked", "cliff", and "kashi."  Those are the brands that usually speak to me anyway. 

I'll probably write some posts in here about my particular likes and dislikes of each bar, but my favorite is the Cliff brand- Luna Bars.  Made for Women (I guess I can call myself that now).  My first bar was the Chocolate Peppermint Stick bar.  It was HEAVEN!!!  I loved it!  The rest of their bars are just as good.  They keep it natural and yummy, and they fill you up... which is what I was looking for to begin with. 

You may be asking me why in the world I'm talking about this here, well all of the taste-testing took place at my labs, which happen to be my desk at Work.  :-)  There's your segway baby!  I think that social workers need to take care of their needs as much as they can at work and at home.  If they aren't taking care of themselves, there is no way they can meet the needs of their clients.  Part of who I am, is looking for better ways to live my life.  I will admit, I've struggled with over-eating my whole life, so of course with the ups and downs of the kind of work that I do, the two worlds will collide. 

I work with a lot of women, but I even hear the men talking about issues regarding to diet and lifestyle.  I'd love to hear how men take care of themselves as social workers. 

What kind of moves are you making to put your health into healthy?


Peace
Babs<3

No comments:

Post a Comment