Thursday, April 25, 2013

Treat me like a baby


I wrote this post last year when I was thinking about foster kids and child development.  It kind of goes along with the "If I were yours," theme.  Its a little rough, but it came flowing out.  With the help of a good friend of mine, I realized how precious, beautiful and exceptional each child is.  Its not even about what their potential is, they just are.  


Treat me like a baby, adorable
Treat me like a baby, So cute it breaks your heart
Treat me like a baby, some people wait a long time for one
Treat me like a baby, someone to protect
Feed me, Bathe me, change me, cuddle and adore me

Treat me like a child, a delicate flower, 
Treat me like a child, the way I see in other families, something to cherish
Treat me like a child, full of potential, naïve, innocent
Treat me like a child, whole, unbroken
Watch me grow, Protect me, Raise me, Fix me

Treat me like a teenager, with the allowances of “typical” behavior
Treat me like a teenager, allowed to explore my identity
Treat me like a teenager, help me be comfortable in my skin
Treat me like a teenager, a valuable personality of my own
Allow me, Lead me, console me, watch me

Treat me like a young adult, with an unreachable horizon
Treat me like a young adult, be my cheerleader
Treat me like a young adult, Let me earn my freedom
Treat me like a young adult, Let me make mistakes
Lift me up, cheer me on, trust me, forgive me

1 comment: